Once everyone was put into groups of 4-5, we started by making a mind map together where we brainstormed and connected ideas about our topics together since we all individually had a different topic that fell into a big category. In this mind map, we also connected the social needs and biology behind the social issues.
After this, our first task was to create individually a rough draft on paper of our zine cover. Then we shared it as a group and had critique, then each of us could make our final individual draft to present to two professionals from MCASD (Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego).
After the presentation, our group noticed we had similar ideas about what we wanted our zine to look like. We knew we wanted to make a photography zine for sure, and as a group we really like Valeria, and my own cover and they were pretty similar. So we combined our ideas to make the first draft of our cover.
This was our 2nd critique with the two professionals and we came with a mood board where we had multiple pictures of what type of pictures we were going t be taking inspiration for or the vibe for our zine. And we also came with our group cover.
After this 2nd critique we made our last draft that included a back and front cover and the inside layout of our zine. We were ahead of everyone because the next step was only to make revisions of the critique but we were knew what we wanted so we went ahead and created it. After our final critique, we decided to add our extras like our pressed flowers on the front only to limited zines we would be selling at the CV Zine Fest and for an extra cost and have the rest be scanned flowers.
We were pretty much done after our 2nd critique so we had time to add extras for our zine. We wanted to make this something that we would actually buy for ourselves. In the middle of our zine we made a pocket with an insert that said 'pull me' where there was 3 recipes for self care like lip scrubs, and shower melts. We also added a handmade pocket in the back where we added our work cited and information about our social advocates.
Some new skills I adapted during this project was communication and effort. This was the biggest thing with our group and why we created a successful zine. We kept constant communication with tasks and always gave it our 100. Overall, all our ideas combined smoothly, the only challenge we face was using certain pictures we took. Some were controversial and knew what possible outcomes could've occurred if we chose to add these to our zine because they weren't "appropriate". We quickly overcame this by just changing the pictures, but other than this we didn't run into any challenges.